Term Paper 1- Personal Media Usage


 My Media Usage


Media is something that most Americans rely on to stay connected with other people and in the know on modern events. People put their entire lives on the internet for others to see. From "Get Ready With Me" TikTok videos to video essays discussing modern politics, the media has become extremely influential in the daily lives of countless people. Media has many benefits for individuals and groups alike, providing easy resources and information at the touch of a button. However, different types of media, especially social media, can be addicting and even negatively influence someone's perspective of the world around them. I, like most other Americans, incorporate media into my daily life so that I can stay aware of what is going on around me. 

From the moment I wake up I am completely focused on the tasks that I need to complete throughout the day. From making it to work on time to completing my class work to keeping up to date with extracurriculars, I need to make sure that I am in the know on the conversations that happen on campus. That's why I always check apps like SnapChat and GroupMe first thing when I wake up, since most of my coworkers and friends use those platforms to chat with me. 



I am someone who does not like to sit in silence when I am getting ready for the day. I full-heartedly believe that the media you consume in the morning sets the mood for the rest of your day. That's why I always choose to listen to one of three things in the morning: a video essay, television show, or spotify playlist. As soon as I get out of bed I like to grab a pair of earbuds and listen to something that gets my brain working while I freshen up for the day. I particularly enjoy watching YouTube videos that discuss aspects of other forms of media that I consume every day, such as pop culture trends or tropes within video games. Below is a screenshot of Daryl Talks Games, a YouTuber that I have followed for years because of his clever insight into video games that I enjoy playing. 


In addition to using YouTube to watch video essays, I also occasionally use it to listen to music that may not be available on streaming platforms. I often find relaxing compilations of music that are much more effective than the playlists that I find on other apps, and I frequently use them to help me relax during busy weeks in the semester. However, Spotify is my absolute go-to source of music. I enjoy searching up songs that I have heard from artists and letting Spotify recommend me new songs, borrowing playlists from friends, and even making playlists for my day to day activities. Since I regularly commute to SAU's campus and travel every few weeks to visit friends, it has become a habit to make playlists that reflect my music taste at each point in my life. 


Since I am always on the move either walking around campus or running errands, I rely on social media to stay connected on what is happening on campus. I regularly find myself scrolling through Instagram in order to see what events are coming up. 
 


I also use Instagram to see what other organizations and friends are doing at the moment. I follow Sigma Tau Delta in order to stay updated on their online blogs, seminars, and the convention updates.  


As I go throughout my day on campus, I try to stay connected with what is going on around Magnolia, the United States, and the rest of the world. I typically spend a few minutes in sometime in the afternoon either on my phone or laptop cycling through different news websites. I try to see both sides of the news, so I frequently try to access different news sources such as the Magnolia Reporter, NBC, and Associated Press. 



I continue to access different types of media when I go home for the day. I usually spend several minutes just resting. When procrastinating my homework I tend to get on my phone for a few more minutes and scroll through Instagram or TikTok. TikTok is where many of my friends from Texas and Northern Arkansas post updates about their day to day lives so I consistently find myself scrolling through videos for at least an hour. I have also used TikTok to find movies to watch or items of clothing to put on my wish list. I also see Gen Z's input on many political and pop culture events that occur. One of the benefits of being able to post anything is that you can also get an easy look at others' perspectives. 
@downtowncozy should i do more???? #essentials #closetessentials #downtowngirl #fyp #downtowngirlaesthetic #outfit #inspo #fypシ #downtowngirlessentials #fallessentials #clothinginspo ♬ original sound - lenkerlyrics

When I'm getting ready to wind down for the night I listen to music or I watch a TV show that's streaming on Hulu or Amazon Prime Video. I usually have a hard time finding something to watch once I'm done with my current show, so I often turn to TikTok or Reddit to find information about new series and movies that fit my general interests and mood for that period of time. For example, I was interested in Superman content after seeing lots of edits about the new movie that came out this summer and, after looking at reviews on Reddit, I decided to start watching Smallville on Hulu. 


I usually watch something while getting ready for bed and listen to music as I fall asleep to help my end my day on a good note. I may even scroll on a social media platform for a few more minutes before I actually fall asleep. 

Even though I use different forms of media literally every single day, I have to admit that certain types of media have had negative effects of my before. Social media is extremely convenient, but it is extremely easy to forget that people often only show what they want others to see. When you don't take this into account, it's very common to start comparing yourself to others in a very unhealthy way. Additionally, any form of incorrect news and miscommunication spreads very quickly across different platforms on the internet, so if you're not careful to stick to credible sources, you will likely fall into the trap of believing falsified information. 

Another one of my struggles with media is my screen time. Scrolling mindlessly through social media platforms provides connection, but it can easily lead to addiction if that habit is not kept in check. According to Stanford Medicine, the satisfaction that many people feel while scrolling is due to a dopamine rush. Many people end of becoming reliant on the feeling of relief that comes while indulging in this habit. I have caught myself blowing off schoolwork and even sleep in order to watch more reels or TikToks. As of right now I have almost five hours of screen time on my cell phone alone. 



In order to give my brain a rest from all of the information thrown around constantly in the media, I usually try to disconnect for a few days once each semester ends and focus on activities that aren't connected with other people directly such as reading or video games.

Even though media can cause negative effects on my mental well-being occasionally, it is still an integral part of staying connected to my school, friends, and family. I cannot imagine my life without being able to access news websites or social media every morning, and I have always enjoyed how easy it is to access other people's opinions about things that I enjoy. I sometimes consider how my younger cousins will experience media when they are my age. I know that it has changed in several ways since I was there age ten years ago. That reality is something that I am both nervous about and excited for!









 

Comments

Popular Posts